It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:55 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Hello,

I hope that I'm allowed to post a link here:
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=35032
There you can find a 279 J series and the dial has the 'L Swiss Made L' just below the 6.

Now I have a J series 279 and on my dial the 'L Swiss' is in front of the 6 and the 'Made L' behind it, so that the immediate space below the 6 is free.

I am really confused now and can't imagine that Panerai would make different dials on a 500 limited edition...

If you browse google pics for the 279 you'll find both versions of dial......

Any help is appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:04 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Panerai are notorious for inconsistencies, one reason why some of their odd items become worth so much. They outsource dial manufacture and undoubtedly use more than one maker.
Looking at some of my yearly catalogues i can now see the 240 (strap)/279 (bracelet) models did appear first in the J/2007 year and remained into K/2008 then changed to the 240/296 in L/2009 due to the bracelet specification change on the 279 > 296.

I wouldn't stress over the "Swiss Made" positioning too much, perhaps the earlier J series were 'tweaked' a little before the K series arrived ;) but if you want absolute assurance, have the watch looked at by an AD or Boutique if you can.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:13 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Baz1950 wrote:
Panerai are notorious for inconsistencies, one reason why some of their odd items become worth so much. They outsource dial manufacture and undoubtedly use more than one maker.
Looking at some of my yearly catalogues i can now see the 240 (strap)/279 (bracelet) models did appear first in the J/2007 year and remained into K/2008 then changed to the 240/296 in L/2009 due to the bracelet specification change on the 279 > 296.

I wouldn't stress over the "Swiss Made" positioning too much, perhaps the earlier J series were 'tweaked' a little before the K series arrived ;) but if you want absolute assurance, have the watch looked at by an AD or Boutique if you can.

Thank you so much for your help and efforts! This is really interesting. So I might have a special tobacco dial then! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:19 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

PAM279 wrote:
Baz1950 wrote:

Thank you so much for your help and efforts! This is really interesting. So I might have a special tobacco dial then! :)

You may, but in some countries, that would be illegal ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:17 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Baz1950 wrote:
PAM279 wrote:
Baz1950 wrote:

You may, but in some countries, that would be illegal ;)

:lol: 8-) I was already wondering about the distinct scent of the watch...