The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:24 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

First post on this forum, and sharing my thoughts to the entire community: lurkers, newbies and gurus. (Warning, long post!)

Despite the financial impact, and the guilt of an impractical purchase in these hard times :? , I decided to jump the gun on my first Panerai last week.

I knew about Panerai ever since I was a teenager, but I never was attracted to it. I always thought they were too large and were fit for bodybuilders, and not on my flimsy Asian wrist. I saw them on fancy boutiques but didn't bother to ask the price thinking it was futile because I couldn't afford it anyway no matter what the sales lady quoted. And so I happily lived my life with relatively cheaper watches, (i.e. Tag, Omega) changing (not collecting) to a new model every few years...

Things changed early 2011 when I downloaded the Panerai Catalog iPad app. Indeed, new media is effective marketing, and the glossy photos on the app made me very curious. Btw, if you're a Panerai lover, and have an iPad, but don't have the Catalog app, shame on you! :lol: The PAM112 quickly became my favorite in the catalog because of it's simplicity. Watch dials in general have become too "busy" and I've always been a sucker for simple watch designs. To each his own, but even the spartan Luminor Marina with the added seconds hand and "MARINA" word on the dial looks a tad too busy for me.

June 3, 2011. I took courage in entering the Panerai Boutique and inquired about the 112. There was good news and bad news. The good news is learning that the PAM112 is an entry-level model, and therefore among the cheapest Panerai. The price tag seemed achievable, although it would mean I would be eating pet food for the next few years to recover. (I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm not a rich man). The bad news is that it's not in stock, and according to the sales lady, there were no guarantees when their boutique will get an allocation. So I left my number just in case.

Fast forward to a month and a half later I got a text from the boutique saying the 112 is in stock and they will hold it for me for a few days but give it to the next in line if I wont take it. I thought darn, it's true what I've read that Panerai produces less than demand, making it elusive, and the 112's not even a Novelty or limited run model.

I rushed to the boutique and while driving there I thought I have to fit it first, and see how it looks on my skinny wrist. It has to feel right too. And yes, you guessed it, the 112 felt right on my wrist. I'm not sure if it was all in my head, but the watch felt balanced, and the leather strap felt very comfortable. I was stunned at the impeccable and solid build quality. Everything from the dial, to the case, strap and even the tang buckle seemed perfect! Even more importantly, I fell in love with the sophisticated simplicity of the Base's dial. Winding the 112 felt very positive and gratifying. With no doubts I felt the 112 was for me, and so I took it home.

Whew, long post! :oops: Here's the sweet ending:

Thank you to those who read this far. And like the countless others who share the passion I would have to say "I'm hooked!" on Panerai. It may not happen in the near future, but I'm already fantasizing of my next Panny. Tastes will change but for now I'm dreaming of the 346; its brown dial and green luminous I personally describe as mint chocolate. Add to that the warm accents of the gold hands contrasted by the cold titanium case...truly sublime!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:08 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

I'm pleased to be able to be the first to say, congratulations.

The 112 is a great Panerai to start and no matter its more affordable, it is the essence of Panerai, big, bold and simple and just how it should be. Personally i have no love for the more complex models and like most, nor the budget for the exotic offerings anyway.

I'm confident you will enjoy your 112 and equally confident you will in time want another, the brand does seem to be infectious 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:03 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Thank you Baz.

Hmm...noticed there's minimal activity in this forums.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:28 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Congrats on the 112, it is beautiful!

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Its a great watch, congrats! I'd hazard a guess, but I think there are MANY Pams that reside on skinny Asian wrists.. It seems like in Singapore, Hong Kong, China, and Taiwan have very active Panerai Collectors.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:09 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Congrats :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:03 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Welcome to the club.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:38 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

paneraisource wrote:
Its a great watch, congrats! I'd hazard a guess, but I think there are MANY Pams that reside on skinny Asian wrists.. It seems like in Singapore, Hong Kong, China, and Taiwan have very active Panerai Collectors.

Yep, I can confirm that !
Please see the following news if you want to get more details.

http://www.worldtempus.com/en/news/top- ... continues/

@And congratulations to the watch 8-)

Cheers,
Alex

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:54 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Congrats!

I have the 112 as well and I absolutely love its simplicity. Base rules!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:22 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

The 112 is a great and classic watch. I would love to have it and many other PAMs in my collection. But just like you and probably many, I don't have the unlimited funds to indulge in my love for PAMs. Congrats on the watch. I'm sure you'll cherish it for many, many years to come.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:42 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Thanks for the responses that have trickled in the past couple of months. I figure I should give an update on the watch as well...

During its first couple of weeks, I noticed the watch advances about 2 minutes within a few days, compared to my mobile phone. I freaked out a bit, and almost decided on sending it for regulation. But I didn't, instead let it run continuously for a month to break in the movement. I did some research online, and experimented on things like storing the watch on its side to slow the movement, etc...

Long story short, I am able to keep it as accurate as possible by doing the ff:
1. Laying it on its side whenever it's stored. (Laying it on its back almost guarantees that the watch runs faster)
2. Winding it every 36 hours instead of every 48 hours (2 days). The movement has a 56-hour reserve, but it think it doesn't like to get almost fully unwound because it speeds up. I bet it would be more accurate if it's would every day (24 hours).

Doing the two things above made my watch accurate to about +10 seconds a day, which is still fast compared to my other two ETA-based watches (Tudor and Ball) that are almost spot on accurate. To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed, to think that I coughed out a huge sum to get this watch, it could at least be as accurate as my other less expensive watches. Though this hasn't stopped me from loving the watch. It's still my favorite to wear and I often catch myself gazing at it. :D Maybe the watch still needs more breaking in, I don't know. Will post updates if any.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:43 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

LaurelT wrote:
The 112 is a great and classic watch. I would love to have it and many other PAMs in my collection. But just like you and probably many, I don't have the unlimited funds to indulge in my love for PAMs. Congrats on the watch. I'm sure you'll cherish it for many, many years to come.

stop begging