The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:29 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Hello
I am curious how non AD get their supply? They all usually list at a discount off suggested retail. Any insights here are greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:52 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Bdal451 wrote:
Hello
I am curious how non AD get their supply? They all usually list at a discount off suggested retail. Any insights here are greatly appreciated

Usually from AD's 'via the back door' to shift stock, or from AD's clients offered them cheap too move out the same stock. They are then sold back into general dealer/re-sellers hands who advertise them as previously owned but unworn 'new'.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:04 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Baz1950 wrote:
Bdal451 wrote:
Hello

Usually from AD's 'via the back door' to shift stock, or from AD's clients offered them cheap too move out the same stock. They are then sold back into general dealer/re-sellers hands who advertise them as previously owned but unworn 'new'.

not always the case....i bought mine from a non-ad, new with full warranty. no issues at all

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:31 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

I don't think i stated or even implied there was anything wrong with the process. I simply offered an answer to the OP's question as to how it happens ;)

FWIW, technically, if a makers warranty is completed by anyone other than an AD, it is invalid and the warranty does not have to be honoured by the makers, at least here in the UK and very particularly by Panerai/Richemont Group. Buying new outside of the AD or boutique network can have it's disadvantages :!:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:45 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Baz1950 wrote:
FWIW, technically, if a makers warranty is completed by anyone other than an AD, it is invalid and the warranty does not have to be honoured by the makers, at least here in the UK and very particularly by Panerai/Richemont Group. Buying new outside of the AD or boutique network can have it's disadvantages :!:

not the case from what i've heard and experienced. the warranty goes with the watch and if you can show that you are the original owner there's not an issue, at least here in the us

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:29 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

fullcourt wrote:
Baz1950 wrote:
Bdal451 wrote:
Hello

not always the case....i bought mine from a non-ad, new with full warranty. no issues at all

As mentioned yours came via the back door. :mrgreen: .....The person you bought it from probably bought it from an AD along with many other watches in order to obtain a hefty discount.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:35 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Quote:

As mentioned yours came via the back door. :mrgreen: .....The person you bought it from probably bought it from an AD along with many other watches in order to obtain a hefty discount.

you have no idea what you're talking about....i'll leave it at that

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:44 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

fullcourt wrote:
Quote:

Throw a stick and the dog will run to it.......Predictable....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:38 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

fullcourt wrote:
Quote:

I think what he's getting at is that resellers that are not authorized are by definition consumers. Therefore, grey market dealers are the first owners of the item. That does not mean that the manufacturer will not honor the warranty, but it does mean that the process of purchasing grey market puts the second owner at some potential risk.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:18 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

paneraiseeker wrote:
Throw a stick and the dog will run to it.......Predictable....

fullcourt wrote:
you have no idea what you're talking about

:lol:

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:47 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Quote:
Predictable....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:31 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

paneraiseeker wrote:
Quote:
Predictable....

:roll:

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:12 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

OK fun over, run along Im bored.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:32 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

paneraiseeker wrote:
OK fun over, run along Im bored.

kids are easily bored

have a great day....i thought we could pad our post count for a few more days.... :D

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:43 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Well its so quiet around these parts...we could get this up to 3 pages at least....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:44 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

paneraiseeker wrote:
Well its so quiet around these parts...we could get this up to 3 pages at least....

:D

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:56 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Bdal451 wrote:
Hello

I have been purchasing my new watches from a non AD for 22 years, the watches are ordered and papers stamped By the AD then shipped directly to my dealer which dates the papers when I pickup the watch, my non AD has connections for all the high end brands. I have a 312 & 321 coming in this week at a discount of 19% and I have purchased an AP royal oak 15300 at 33% off.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

JoeI wrote:
I have been purchasing my new watches from a non AD for 22 years, the watches are ordered and papers stamped By the AD then shipped directly to my dealer which dates the papers when I pickup the watch, my non AD has connections for all the high end brands. I have a 312 & 321 coming in this week at a discount of 19% and I have purchased an AP royal oak 15300 at 33% off.

Those are pretty good discounts, seems better than buying from AD's over here at least!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:35 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

JoeI wrote:
Bdal451 wrote:
Hello

me too....my local ad is horrible, and i wouldn't even walk into their store any more. if you can get what you need with the proper documentation/warranty, why would you pay more?

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:13 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

JoeI wrote:
Bdal451 wrote:
Hello

Then your dealer is successfully circumventing his dealer agreement.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:45 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

fullcourt wrote:
JoeI wrote:
Bdal451 wrote:
Hello

me too....my local ad is horrible, and i wouldn't even walk into their store any more. if you can get what you need with the proper documentation/warranty, why would you pay more?

I think AD's are overated..it depends, sometimes if your dealing with a reputable guy in the grey market.. they buy a lot of watches from an AD.. much more than you will.. and they have some clout with the original AD.. much more than you will..so if there is a problem they are more likely to get some action from the AD ..much more than you will.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:47 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

peezie wrote:

the agreement to sell as many of these fine timepieces as possible?

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:44 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

When Panerai gets it worldwide network of boutiques fully established, AD's will not exist nor will discounts. Which is exactly what Richemont group seek to acheive, total control of the distribution of their product/s.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:27 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Baz1950 wrote:
When Panerai gets it worldwide network of boutiques fully established, AD's will not exist nor will discounts. Which is exactly what Richemont group seek to acheive, total control of the distribution of their product/s.

Lest hope so, would be interesting to know if they would give any discount when someone strolls into a boutique wafting £200k in there face.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:12 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

paneraiseeker wrote:
Baz1950 wrote:

Lest hope so, would be interesting to know if they would give any discount when someone strolls into a boutique wafting £200k in there face.

i doubt that will happen....there will always be ways to get discounts on these watches. if not the brand will suffer and richemont will have to discount prices to move product. plus it's going to take a while before the world wide network will be up and running. plenty of time to buy, buy, buy

i've also heard that many have been able to get discounts at the boutiques. i have zero direct hand knowledge of this.

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:51 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

fullcourt wrote:
paneraiseeker wrote:
Baz1950 wrote:

i doubt that will happen....there will always be ways to get discounts on these watches. if not the brand will suffer and richemont will have to discount prices to move product. plus it's going to take a while before the world wide network will be up and running. plenty of time to buy, buy, buy

i've also heard that many have been able to get discounts at the boutiques. i have zero direct hand knowledge of this.

I think it boils down to what model you are trying to get a discount on.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:33 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

every model will have some form of discount, just depends on where you buy it.

plus this is going to take quite a long time to acheive, if ever

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:44 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

fullcourt wrote:
every model will have some form of discount, just depends on where you buy it.

plus this is going to take quite a long time to acheive, if ever

Even the SE models, never had a discount on a SE I'm just happy to get one now and then.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:56 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

paneraiseeker wrote:
Even the SE models, never had a discount on a SE I'm just happy to get one now and then.

i've never had an se, but i do know they're harder to come by, but can be bought at a discount. from what i've been told by the dealers i know. ymmv

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:59 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

fullcourt wrote:
peezie wrote:

the agreement to sell as many of these fine timepieces as possible?

I'm sure part of that overly simplistic agreement is to not feed the grey market. Maybe Panerai doesn't care, but I doubt it. If they didn't, they'd sell to anyone and not bother with boutiques.