The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ceramic Watch
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:42 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Hey guys,
Just joined this board after purchasing my ceramic Black Seal. I was not careful and got a light scuff mark on the top left of the watch (not scratch but just ceramic scuff that can be seen under light). Any way to repair this? Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Ceramic Watch
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:39 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

BlackSeal wrote:
Hey guys,
Just joined this board after purchasing my ceramic Black Seal. I was not careful and got a light scuff mark on the top left of the watch (not scratch but just ceramic scuff that can be seen under light). Any way to repair this? Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Thanks!

The ceramic case shouldn't scratch unless you rubbed against a surface having an extreme degree of hardness, which is highly unlikely. Without pictures, it is hard to judge, but you should be able to simply wipe off the surface because what has likely happened is that a small film deposited on the surface of ceramic case when it made contact with the abrading material. If that's the issue, then you can buff off the deposition and your watch will look like new again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:48 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Coulomb wrote:
BlackSeal wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks!

The ceramic case shouldn't scratch unless you rubbed against a surface having an extreme degree of hardness, which is highly unlikely. Without pictures, it is hard to judge, but you should be able to simply wipe off the surface because what has likely happened is that a small film deposited on the surface of ceramic case when it made contact with the abrading material. If that's the issue, then you can buff off the deposition and your watch will look like new again.

Thanks. What can I use to buff off the deposition? I tried using a cloth but didnt work. Tried using eraser, slight improved but still there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:50 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

You need a liquid imo. i would try gently rubbing using a finger and something like cooking oil and then wipe it off afterwards.

Is this a question of 'damage' you can see and actually feel with a finger nail or just an abrasion scuff? The case is supposed to be virtually bomb proof!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:38 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Baz1950 wrote:
You need a liquid imo. i would try gently rubbing using a finger and something like cooking oil and then wipe it off afterwards.

Is this a question of 'damage' you can see and actually feel with a finger nail or just an abrasion scuff? The case is supposed to be virtually bomb proof!

i tried to take a picture but didnt show up well. the mark cannot be felt but u can see it's a lighter color (like a stain of a dried up liquid). tried using water and rubbing with my finger by doesnt work. lemme try to get a better picture and post it. it's only visible if under light as that damage will reflect over the matte surface

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:43 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

BlackSeal wrote:
Baz1950 wrote:

i tried to take a picture but didnt show up well. the mark cannot be felt but u can see it's a lighter color (like a stain of a dried up liquid). tried using water and rubbing with my finger by doesnt work. lemme try to get a better picture and post it. it's only visible if under light as that damage will reflect over the matte surface

If is not actual physical damage i would just wipe it over with a silicone impregnated cloth or 'oily' substance then wipe it off again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:55 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

attached is the picture

Attachments:
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 82.49 KiB | Viewed 24282 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:34 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

hard to tell from that picture. But, it does look like some deposition of substance and not a scratch, especially if you can't feel a indentation or crevice on the surface of the case.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:50 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

BlackSeal wrote:
attached is the picture

Tried anything oily yet?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Ceramic should be very difficult to scratch or chip. From what I understand if you are hitting it hard enough to scratch you are liking cracking the whole case because that's how hard you'd have to strike it against something or scratch it against something with a high hardness like Glass or another Ceramic or a hardened steel.

If you have a Loupe, trying looking at it through that.. or even a magnifying glass.. just to make sure it is some sort of deposit on the surface.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:57 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

I'm a little wary of putting oil on my watch (i only have grape oil for cooking). is there a product out there that I can use? WD-40?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:09 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

BlackSeal wrote:
I'm a little wary of putting oil on my watch (i only have grape oil for cooking). is there a product out there that I can use? WD-40?

Try some WD-40, you need a liquid to wash of the mark. Ceramic is pretty tough and the wole point of the watch so sould resist pretty much anything.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:20 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

yup, probably a nice microfiber moist cloth will do the trick. today i scuffed my 339 against some random surface and the contact produced a streak similar to yours. i took out my lens cloth and after a few seconds of buffing, the streak disappeared. the ceramic case should behave closely to that of the composite because both are ceramics (yours is solid, mine is basically heavily oxidized aluminum--the underlying case is remains aluminum).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:44 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

thanks for your suggestions! I will give it a try. First need to find microfiber cloth :) will report back soon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:13 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

got a question, does the black come off of ceramic or is that the material color?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:54 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

BlackSeal wrote:
got a question, does the black come off of ceramic or is that the material color?

Ceramic is homogeneous like metal. It's not an applied (in the case of the 292 anyway) material. It's only 'weakness' is, if struck with great force it can shatter.