The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:03 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

My small collection is biased towards Ti cases, i like the look and feel :) These are an 89 and a 240 currently. In steel i also have a 112 used now as a very plain simple dress watch and a 212, predominantly for the '1950' tag, that being my birth year, (sad i know). I have a 'custom homage' due very soon, basically a DLC'd, sterile 112 look a like, for the fun of it and because a pukka PVD PAM is expensive imo.

Now i've always fancied a 91 as i fancy a bracelet model and regret not keeping the 106 i had the chance of. The question is, buying is never an issue, but in these troubled times is buying another without selling one, silly dangerous or indulgent, or all these things? A 91 has now appeared and i'm seriously tempted.

If i was to sacrifice one, it would be the 112 or 212, leaning towards the 212 despite the '1950'' connection. Why? i suppose i actually prefer the original Luminor case shape if forced to a decision over which models i like.

The question is therefore simple, 'swap' a 212 for a 91, buy the 91 outright or be content with the current collection?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:16 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

In my opinion, this is a classic "How long is a piece of string" question...and frankly it's impossible for someone else to answer.

Why? Because every single Panerai 'collector' has his or her own priorities in terms of what they like or are searching for. If you look at my signature you'll see a number of watches gone from my current collection - why did I buy them only to get rid of them? Simply because, for me at least, it's evolutive in the sense that I purchased what I 'thought' I liked until I finally settled on the style/shape/movement that I'm happiest with.

I have never considered the future resale value or whatever when I've purchased - I've mentioned many times on this forum that I buy a watch for ME, not to 'flip' or with the hope that someday it'll increase in value and I'll make a killing. I might add that I have sadly never made a profit when I have sold a watch - ever!

The watches I own are all very 'particular' to me, either they have a certain serial number, or a particularity which makes them 'special' to me.

In addition, your own personal finances must decree whether or not you must sell to buy again. I am selling two because, to me, they're not 'special' enough to keep. Sure, I could do with the money, and will without doubt buy others, so I'm not a reference in this ;)

I seriously think that there is only one person who can answer your question...sorry if this isn't much use to you :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:25 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

I didn't phrase my question as well as i might. Finances whilst relevant are thankfully not a reason to only make a trade purchase or indeed not buy at all. I'm lucky enough to be in a position to buy it without guilt or compromise. I think my question was, is a 91 a more desirable piece over a 212, which has relevance to me but that i hardly wear.

I never buy for profit either, that's dangerous in the extreme. I do though like to buy on the basis it may at least hold value over losing money. Most used Panerai seem to edge upwards with price increases from the makers on new items. There are some less popular exceptions.

The 91 has it seems, always been a desirable watch for many and has had a hefty price tag accordingly, unlike my 212, which will never be worth it's new cost again. They seem to drop and stay at a level, whereas the 91 and others have increased in value from their original price point.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:34 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

The 91 is a nice watch, I agree, and that strap looks gorgeous (I've never worn one - just seen and touched it!) - it's odd that this particular model holds it's value - perhaps due to the 'non standard' dial markings (AND the fact that the bi-metal bracelets cost an arm and two legs!)

Why not, if you can get a good deal - my 199 is going for the same reason as your 212, in that I never seem to wear it...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:13 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

I find watch dealers just the same as car dealers, economic with the truth! The eagerly awaited PAM 91 arrived bright and early this morning and was unpacked and repacked back to back :(

Battle scarred would be a reasonable term and to properly refurbish it, about £400 plus a possible movement service. RIS in London can't now discuss a watches service history with anyone, because of the 'data protection act' :shock: What utter twaddle. Can you imagine being told that by a car dealer :?

It goes back today and i think i'll suspend my shopping/collecting for a while :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:29 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

That's really frustrating - I feel for you. Can't you 'get them' on their description?

Where does the bulls**t about RIS not being able to discuss previous maintenance come from? RIS? I find this difficult to believe....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:48 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

sportback wrote:
That's really frustrating - I feel for you. Can't you 'get them' on their description?

Where does the bulls**t about RIS not being able to discuss previous maintenance come from? RIS? I find this difficult to believe....

Head Office instructions (whoever that means) which if true are a farce. A car service history is important to a purchase, why not a watch? invariably costing far less money :evil:

Stupidity in the extreme.

I will console myself over the 91, with the fact that my 'custm build' DLC'd Sterile 112 may be complete this week. It's a cost effective experiment to see if i like and want to live with a DLC'd pammy full time. I have a donor 112 lined up for the original pencil lead PVD look, if this experiment is a success ;)