The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pam 351 vs Pam 312
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:48 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Hello all, this is my first post here. I have been a member of the Breitling Source for a couple of years and a member here for a short time.

I am thinking about my first PAM purchase. I own several Breitlings and Omegas. The only PAM I have ever seen up close and tried on is a PAM 320. I was impressed at how large the face was in comparison to my Lings of similar size. I am seriously considering a PAM 351 for my next watch. Does anyone have feedback as far as weight or wear of the TI model versus the SS model PAM 312?

R/

Post subject: Re: Pam 351 vs Pam 312
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:35 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Hello and welcome, we're a friendly but small bunch so lots of input needed when you have committed ;)

I've owned both the 312 and 351 and found both 'nice'. Of the two my clear preference was the 351 as it has so much going for it. The Ti case is easier every day than the heavier 312. The brown dial and gold hands are 8-) and i think nicer. The 320 which you've seen is of course a 312 with GMT, though the 320 has a couple of other nice features, a 'seconds reset' when you pull the crown and a PR indicator on the back. The 312/351 do not have those features.

If your choice is a two horse race of 312 or 351, i'd pay the extra for a 351 every time.

HTH :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If this is your first and possibly only PAM, at least for a while, I would personally go for the 312. The 351 is very cool with the brown sandwich dial and gold hands but I do find that it makes the watch less versatile when playing around with strap options. It is definately something that stands out as a little bit different from the standard black sandwich, stainless case, however. The Ti case is lighter, and gives a darker look on the wrist.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:23 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

rebel_1 wrote:
... I was impressed at how large the face was in comparison to my Lings of similar size.

Breitling has a bad habit of using pretty thick bezels, so the diameter size of their watches needs to be scrutinized for those of us who prefer a larger dial vs. a fat bezel.

That being said, I own a Breitling and a Panerai and I find the Panerai quite comfortable...I like the way it lays on my wrist. I don't know that it will be more reliable as a timepiece, but I can tell you firsthand that Panerai ADs and their customer service makes Breitling USA look like a bunch of amateurs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:30 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

I pulled the trigger and am now the happy owner of a 351. It is an "M" series. I will include pictures as time becomes more available. The TI case makes the watch more or less undetectable next to my Breitling Steelfish. The brown / tobacco dial with gold hands looks great. This is by far the most expensive watch in the collection; although it is my first PAM. I do wonder how the TI case will hold up to wear. I have a yellow Breitling Seawolf TI and it has held up well.

R/