The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:09 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Hi,

Sorry for the possibly lame question, and please dont shoot me for it ;) but I find the many many different models of Panerai very confusing. Maybe its just me getting old.... :lol: Are there any differences in the movements?

I am in the market for my first Panerai, but have no idea what to choose. I think I wil go for a 40mm due to my small wrists. I dont want a chrono, but would like a sandwich dial. Metal bracelet and a titanium case would be preferrable.... and the most important factor is ofcourse the budget. It must be less than 5K (Euros)

I have looked at the 50 and the 298 but I dont really see much of a difference.... do they have different movements?

What is the movement I should go for?

Thankful for any advice really

Thanks

Al.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Al,

I am a new Panerai owner and when I started my search, I was a bit overwhelmed. What helped me to determine what model to purchase was asking myself a few questions.

1. What did i want the face to look like: sandwich dial, painted, and what color? Did I want other subdials on the face or power reserve?
2. Did I want the crown protector?
3. Automatic or Manual wind? Chronograph or not?
4. Finish- polished, brushed, or both? Is having an exhibition back important or not?
5. How much of a limited number made?
6. budget?
7. Most importantly, what fit best on my wrist.

Once I answered these questions, i was able to narrow the search and choose one for me.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are many so that they can sell more and make more money :)

They are all slightly different, with a variety of movements. Please study the pages and familiarize yourself with all the offerings, and you will see the subtle differences.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:25 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Well, if the movement is in-house made and the design is fancy and will fit you = would it be the perfect condition.
BUT, this is not always the case.

So go to the shop and try a few PAM's. On the end your gut instinct will make the final decision....and not the movement in the watch ;)

Cheers,
Alex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:40 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Thanks all, I do have my criteria set (I think :))

I have been offered a 333 from an AD. But I think the mix of polished steel and brushed titanium make sit look a little "blingy"...... looking for an alternative now

1. What did i want the face to look like: sandwich dial, painted, Dark face black or grey. Power reseve would be nice but not a Chrono.
2. Did I want the crown protector? Yes please.
3. Automatic or Manual wind? Chronograph or not? Automatic :)
4. Finish- polished, brushed, or both? Is having an exhibition back important or not? Brushed, prefer the Titanium but not a must. Exhibition back is not important.
5. How much of a limited number made? The lower the better ;)
6. budget? 5 - 6 K Euros
7. Most importantly, what fit best on my wrist. I have tried on a 40mm Titanium with a white face that looked great. Didnt get it becuase f the white face.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:49 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

I don't think Panerai have that many models at all, when compared to other makers anyway.

If your physical build is restricting you to 40mm case models then your choices are much reduced anyway you can ignore all those other perhaps confusing numbers.

You have the PAM48, 49, 51, 298, 244, 241 from the current range, you can see them all here http://www.panerai.com/s_page.xpd?id_li ... _sezione=3

If you must have a bracelet model, afaik there are only two currently, the 51 and 298, neither are Ti. Older models in Ti are 169, 160, 244 and 72, 74 and rare models 121, 122, Google for images and then search out what you like the look of ;)

You mention a 40mm Ti white dial model. What was that?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:55 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Quote:

I'm afraid I don't remeber the model name just how it looked like.... But I tried on the 352 today and though its a 44mm it is very sexy :) love the brown sandwich dial

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:43 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

blingal wrote:
Quote:

I'm afraid I don't remeber the model name just how it looked like.... But I tried on the 352 today and though its a 44mm it is very sexy :) love the brown sandwich dial

I'm pretty new and have been looking for just the right PAM and in the beginning, I was just as confused as you. You just have to realize that every little subtle difference has a different model number. Things like, second hand or no second hand.. or logo or no logo.. will call for different model numbers.

Best thing to do is google the images and compare them. That's what I've been doing. And you'll notice that what you originally thought you wanted will change as you see what's out there. And they'll change many many times.