The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Which Panerai do I want?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:42 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Okay guys first post on this board, wandered over from the Breitling site.

Pam's have really been growing on me lately and im trying to decide on one I want to purchase.

I REALLY like the PAM 233, but am not loving the price :roll: What is a similar piece?

I guess the features I want are 44m, Sandwich dial, and if it has date I don't care much for the cyclops magnifier. Exhibition caseback is a plus but not required. Any recommendations from the experts out there?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:47 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Hi and welcome!

The 233 is a 1950 style case, which is used pretty much exclusively by the manifattura (In house) movements. There are exceptions - the 253 for instance. This is a SE version of the 212. The fact that neither has the 'loupe' just means they don't have a date either.

Panerai don't seem able to manufacture non-manifattura watches with dates but without that damn magnifier (which I dislike) - I was 'forced' ;) to get a 270 for that very reason! In addition, it has the sandwich dial...

With the notable exception of the Radiomir 268, all the manifattura models with date don't have a magnifier.(233, 270, 289)

The only contemporary models without a date magnifier are the 236, 250/251 - I guess the closest you'll get to a 1950 style case AND a date is the 250 - ask Admin, I know he's got one.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually, I traded the 250! I traded it for an IWC Ingeneiur and some cash a ways back. I really wanted the IWC but with the move, one of either the 250 or the 90 had to go, and I preferred the less contemporary look of the 90. The 250 is nice, but a bit more on the high tech looking side for a Pam.

Having said that, Panerai's date magnifiers are crap, and they make the date all convoluted. In general, I prefer to see the date without having to look directly at the watch too, which is all but impossible with a date magnifier.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:45 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Great feedback! I picked up my first PAM, a used 111, a month or 2 ago. In a recent trip to my nearest AD , I had the opportunity to try on a 233 AND a 270! The AD had both beckoning me in their store window. Since that day 2 weeks ago, I can not get them out of my mind. I dreamed of the 233 last night and woke up twice thinking about it. It's gotten that bad. I desperately want one but don't really want to sell any of my current pieces and don't really feel like selling any of my motorcycles or vehicles to do it. And I will not go into debt to do it. Or will I? Hmmm. OK, no, I will not go into debt. Keep telling myself that. I will own one of these eventually. If they have one in the caribbean islands when I go in 3 weeks, I will be in trouble. :(

I would suggest that if you really want that 233, save up until you can afford it. With watches, you don't want to settle. You will eventually regret it and start thinking of ways to get your hands on the one you really wanted.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:37 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Thanks for the great informative and helpful posts!

The only problem is now I don't know if I want the 233 or 270. I prefer automatic movements and like the 9 being on the dial. I've decided to not just settle for another model and instead save for one of these two. Damn. Which one? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:36 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Skydiver Nick wrote:
Thanks for the great informative and helpful posts!

The only problem is now I don't know if I want the 233 or 270. I prefer automatic movements and like the 9 being on the dial. I've decided to not just settle for another model and instead save for one of these two. Damn. Which one? :lol:

Well, I can tell you that I broke down and picked up the 233... AND absolutely love it! The 270 was still available at the AD too, but for the extra $4k, I couldn't justify it. The 233 with the 1950s brushed/polished case, the P2002 movement, the domed crystal, the open caseback, the 8 day power reserve... it is such a beautiful watch. I wound it when I picked it up on Friday and I have not had to wind it since, although I wanted to. 8 days is such a long time between winds. Plus, I like winding it. Makes you take a minute to enjoy the watch. I also like the 9 but the dial of the 233 seems well balanced plus the larger 12 and 6 are more stylish. I haven't taken it off my wrist (except for sleeping) since Friday. You will not be disappointed with either the 233 or the 270. Both are incredible!