The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:35 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

New Panerai owner! Just took possesion of a preloved PAM 312.

Well appearantly most Panerai owners have smaller than "normal" wrists. My wrist is 7 1/2" and the factory Croc strap on the PAM 312 just barely catches on the last hole, with not much being tucked in the loop.

So, having ordered a hornback from TedSu 180/30mm (largest premade they listed), I emailed them to stop the shipment if they havent sent it yet, because I dont think that even that size is really enough. I would like the buckle to hit the middle of the underside of my wrist (shouldnt I?) and the long part of the strap to extend past the buckle by at least 1 1/2" to 2".

What would be the recomended size for my 7 1/2" wrist on my new PAM 312.

Darn metric system!

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:01 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

I have just taken delivery of a custom ammo from Ted, Jessie suggested a 80/130 for my wrist size which is the same as yours 7.5". It fits nice right in the middle hole, and the quality is superb. I will post some pics of it on my wrist if you like?.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:34 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Yeah that would be great. Expecially photos showing where the buckle is located related to the underside of your wrist. Jessie from TedSu emailed me back and said that 130/80 is correct for my wrist size, so we will see.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:37 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Here you go hope this helps. The end of the strap just about sticks out after the keeper.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:57 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Thanks Simon. My strapluxe (135/75) is catching at the last hole and the factory is comfortable at the second to the last hole (but a wee bit snug). The initial impression was that the factory strap was on the last hole but I think it was a little too loose there. My only concern was that there isn't any OEM strap left for the second keeper, so any straps I buy in the future are definitely going to be a bit larger than 210mm total. 220mm total would probably be more to my liking.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:50 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

130x85 works well on a 7.5" wrist, the buckle centres and there is 'sensible' tail.

I'm a little confused though, as you must wear your watch very loose? I have a 7.5" wrist and on a standard OEM 115x75 had it fitting comfortably when on the third to last hole, but the loose keeper was immediately redundant and therefore removed. There is obviously no tail with those sizes. I'm not a lover of what i regard as gross oversizing and find, as i said, 130x85 perfect for my 7.5" wrist.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:17 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

I just re-measured, just because I wanted to double check, and my wrist is about 7 5/8". I dont wear my straps loose but I also do not wear them to the point of leaving marks on my wrist after I take them off. My new TedSu at 130/85 is perfect and I currently have it on and buckled in the 2nd to the last hole. That allows the watch to "stay put" and doesn't squeeze my wrist at all. Very comfy and just enough tail for the second keeper. I will be ordering all my future straps in 130/85 or really close to that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:52 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Hi, new to the forum here but have read many of the strap reviews here before... thanks for the detailed reviews :)

And to the thread, I wanted to share a bit of what I experienced and to ask a few more questions. It all comes down to preferences, but here are a few things to think about.

First of all, where you want the buckle. At first, with other watches, I generally liked the buckle dead center of the underside and it would be fine (afterall, getting a watch isn't about the strap) but now, after getting a pam (or multiple now....darn addiction) I found that I don't want the buckle at the center. Due to the size of the buckles, I find that being able to see the buckle with a normal watch taking pose (probably the watch face at 45deg angle) beautiful.

Second, and again...with other watches, I didn't mind the tail much, a bit longer, a bit short, as long as it wasn't so short that it was difficult to get it through the keeper and so long that it went over the lugs, I was good. Now with panerai, I want it generally longer for daily wear and extra long for the vintage/rugged look. probably 15-20mm from the lugs would be perfect.

Third, the thickness. OEM is usually something like 3.5mm and thins out at the buckle or at the ends to like 2mm. This makes it less bulky, so you can fit it under the cuffs...but that's not the case with aftermarket, so that changes things. With thickness ranging from 3mm (considered thin) to upwards of 5mm evenly, it gives the watch a very different look.

Fourth, tapered or not. This doesnt really affect the sizing, but it's good to note that this small detail changes the buckle and affects the length just a tad. Big buckles, you really dont want at the center of the underside...

So all in all, what I ended up with is that most aftermarket sizing is adjusted so that you can wear the strap like it were OEM. buckle centered, just maybe 15mm outside the floating keeper. 7-7.5" wrist for 80/130 is usually ok. For me, I have a 6.75" wrist and got an ammo strap from ted su (single layer 3.5mm) at 80/130 and thought "nice, a long strap for the rugged look" but it just didn't look right. Either 2nd hole from the lugs, it was too tight, 3rd hole is wearable but then that would mean it was just the same as OEM. The measurements can be misleading at first. The tail end length (longer end) doesnt dictate size of wrist!! It just dictates how much tail you get. It might sound too long but the more strap you tuck in under the tail side by shfiting holes without changing wrist size, the more tail it needs. Something to know is that the first hole is usually 50mm from the lugs and each hole is 7.5mm apart (usually again). Don't take the total length of the strap, take it from the hole you want to use. If I want to use the first hole (so the gpf style flat buckle, a very nice one from ted su) would stick out to look nice, then I would need something closer to 90 on the buckle side. and to get the military look, a nice long tail, it'd be more like 90/145 and this is just for a 6.75" wrist!!! So all in all, that's my experience. I'm ok with 85/130 or 85/135 for most straps, tight on first or comfy on 2nd hole (i wear my watches loose...in the humidity in HK), but I would rather 90/130 or 90/135 for most straps of 4mm, the standard for aftermarket. So get your straps longer than you think you need if you're new to this and you should be ok :) Does anyone else share the same thoughts? I hear a lot of people saying 6.75" wrist, 75/125 is perfect. I see at least 85/130 to look nice :) Wearing panerai straps on first hole from lugs makes it a ton nicer! Try it.

I'll post some pics later to show you guys what I mean... but good luck in the hunt. This whole strap addiction is just kinda nuts... I could probably get another watch already!

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Excellent post, kelsiph! Very good observations and a good read especially for someone first getting into aftermarket strap game. It takes a few strap purchases before you kind of "figure it out".

However, having said that, many makers will custom place the holes for you, and the amount of spacing between the holes can affect the likelihood of being "between-holes" in size.