The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Black Seal Ceramic
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:35 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

I am seriously considering a new panerai addition, namely the Radiomir Black Seal (PAM292) with the black ceramic case. what do you guys think? and any idea about the world wide MSRP?

- Alien13 -

Post subject: Re: Black Seal Ceramic
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:27 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

The 292 will be produced in a run of 1000 for the serie 'J' (2007) - and I have it on fairly good authority that less than 20 have actually been delivered so far....are you a patient guy? ;)

It would seem likely that after a few production problems with the ceramic case, Panerai are now holding back the finished watches until sufficient are available to ship all at once, instead of in dribs and drabs as has been the situation up until now.

Aside from that, in terms of price, it's a steal and I'd probably like one in my collection...a serious problem arises with only a few actually available - the 'flippers' buy them and re-sell at a profit to the people who just can't wait. This means that these models have an artificially high price (IMHO) which no-one seems to mind. It's 'good' for Panerai as it maintains an interest in the watch, and the people who buy to re-sell are making handsome profits from people who are willing to pay silly money.

"You pays your money, you takes your choice" - but personally I won't be drawn into this mad spiral - just because someone on a forum somewhere says the 292 is 'the' watch and everybody rushes out to get one, regardless of the price.

One last thing - the 292 for the 'K' model year (2008) does not have the 'Pig' (two man submarine used by the Royal Italian Navy frogmen) on the dial, which will no doubt increase the value of the 'J' series beyond all measure...there are whispers that this has been done on purpose...

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:18 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Thanx alot sportback for such valuble feedback.

And hey patience is one of my virtues :) and by the way i won't miss the pig logo, so it will be no problem for me to wait for the 2008 K models :)

One last thing, how durable is this ceramic case? i mean is it scratch and crack resistant? or is it fragile and could be easily broken?

- Alien13 -

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:34 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

I really can't answer as to how scratch resistant the ceramic case is - several manufacturers (Cartier etc) also have ceramic models, but I don't personally have any detailed info. I'm led to believe it's pretty tough stuff, and I have dificulty imagining someone like Panerai turning out a watch that falls apart too easily ;) This said, of course, it rather largely depends on how and where you wear it. If you use a road-drill regularly it's probably not the watch for you!!

Ceramic brake discs are available on option for a number of cars now, and if you imagine the shocks and heat that they must suffer, they must be pretty durable - obviously not exactly the same thing, I realise, but even so...

The colour in the ceramic is dyed-in-the-mass as opposed to the black PVD coating on some models, so even in the event it got scratched, it probably wouldn't show up. I'll try to get more info from Panerai.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:55 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Sporty you are the best :) and i will be waiting for any extra information you might get, and hey we are not in a hurry as we have long time to wait until this model is out :)

- Alien13 -