The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Make This a Better Forum
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:06 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Recently I had a falling out with some of the people at Paneristi.com. I became disenchanted with some of the members' emotional need to place their watches on the same level as family members, applying a strange personification to their pieces. Frankly, I was wierded out reading many of those posts. Those that frequent that site that are a little turned off by the idol worship that go on over there understand.

That said, I see a real resource going untapped here. I think a forum about watches should be about watches. If Paneristi want to create friendships because of a possession rather than a real connection, cool. I want to help make this forum more prominent and relevant, keeping the site informative and helpful without the watch flashing and lemming-like behavior that tends to follow over there. This isn't about Panerai Source vs Paneristi, but I have a suspicion many people here are here for a reason.

Who's on board?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:23 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

I'd love to see this forum more active.It has great potential,a more user friendly layout and admin is a friendly and helpful guy also.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:30 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Lingfan wrote:
I'd love to see this forum more active.It has great potential,a more user friendly layout and admin is a friendly and helpful guy also.

I agree. I think if regular participants work to assist others with questions and attract vendors to post their wares, this place can be better over time.

BTW - Mods, not trying to step on toes here :) Just want to make this place more of what I perceive as what it "should" be.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:40 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Thou shalt not criticise or offer any negativity about the place known as Paneristi ;) i read some of your posts and fwiw i did think you were being somewhat argumentative in part. However, it is indeed a strange place, useful as a resource but little else, for me anyway.

I recall well being taken to task in a very personal attack by a member there and then being rounded on by one of the guys mates, who actually turned out to be a mod himself :roll:

They say: So, in short, be nice, have fun and again, Welcome! Paneristi Moderating Staff which i find difficult to understand. I sure wasn't made welcome, nor were they very nice. There is clearly a tiered membership too, those who are "in" and then pretty much everybody else. They do not take kindly to any criticism, the distribution/allocation of the 360 was a farce and so pre-organised, it beggars belief many have accepted the mods BS excuses and still believe they were simply unlucky.

I still visit but never post.

It would be great to see this place go up a gear or two :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:48 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Baz1950 wrote:
Thou shalt not criticise or offer any negativity about the place known as Paneristi ;) i read some of your posts and fwiw i did think you were being somewhat argumentative in part. However, it is indeed a strange place, useful as a resource but little else, for me anyway.

I recall well being taken to task in a very personal attack by a member there and then being rounded on by one of the guys mates, who actually turned out to be a mod himself :roll:

They say: So, in short, be nice, have fun and again, Welcome! Paneristi Moderating Staff which i find difficult to understand. I sure wasn't made welcome, nor were they very nice. There is clearly a tiered membership too, those who are "in" and then pretty much everybody else. They do not take kindly to any criticism, the distribution/allocation of the 360 was a farce and so pre-organised, it beggars belief many have accepted the mods BS excuses and still believe they were simply unlucky.

Baz -

First, I admitted to a poor choice of words in a follow-up post over there. Those admissions and explanations were subsequently removed, while the posts smearing me were allowed to remain. The mods there fan the flames as opposed to putting them out. It's hard to not respond to those things, and that makes it worse.

Key to understanding the moderation process at Paneristi is to understand that it's not intended to protect the integrity of the forum. Rather, it's designed to protect a mindset and certain people that most prominently hold it up.

People there continue to bash me while preventing me from posting. It's cowardice. The more private emails I get from other members supporting me the more I see this is par for the course.

I lost control of myself over there, and am not proud of it. The original post was poorly worded, although truly designed to spark honest discussion. My intention here is to try to help this place become better, since my appreciation for the brand will not be diminished based on a few children growing older.

I plan to PM a couple mods to see what they want and I'll try to provide that as much as possible. Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:10 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

peezie wrote:
Recently I had a falling out with some of the people at Paneristi.com. I became disenchanted with some of the members' emotional need to place their watches on the same level as family members, applying a strange personification to their pieces. Frankly, I was wierded out reading many of those posts. Those that frequent that site that are a little turned off by the idol worship that go on over there understand.

Who's on board?

Well, what should I say !? I can see such kind of behaviour in other Forum's as well. Like Rolex, IWC or in a car forum.
People like to put their hobby on the same level like family life. On the end THEY have to understand if this is right or wrong....

Cheers,
Alex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:06 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Call me nosey Peezie but i would love a link to this. I feel left out :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:37 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

peezie wrote:
Baz1950 wrote:

Baz -

First, I admitted to a poor choice of words in a follow-up post over there. Those admissions and explanations were subsequently removed, while the posts smearing me were allowed to remain. The mods there fan the flames as opposed to putting them out. It's hard to not respond to those things, and that makes it worse.

Key to understanding the moderation process at Paneristi is to understand that it's not intended to protect the integrity of the forum. Rather, it's designed to protect a mindset and certain people that most prominently hold it up.

People there continue to bash me while preventing me from posting. It's cowardice. The more private emails I get from other members supporting me the more I see this is par for the course.

I lost control of myself over there, and am not proud of it. The original post was poorly worded, although truly designed to spark honest discussion. My intention here is to try to help this place become better, since my appreciation for the brand will not be diminished based on a few children growing older.

I plan to PM a couple mods to see what they want and I'll try to provide that as much as possible. Stay tuned.

There is but one mod here, the owner and the place is better for it, as that is all it currently requires or indeed needs. The way to make this place better is to contribute more and it will then appear in Google etc searches for example and gather more general exposure.

I tried to make more contributions from a while back but even here we have a keyboard warrior or two, seemingly set only on their views and opinions and argumentative as a result.

Lets hope 'we' can make more of this place without reference or indeed deference to that 'other place' 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:32 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Baz1950 wrote:
There is but one mod here, the owner and the place is better for it, as that is all it currently requires or indeed needs. The way to make this place better is to contribute more and it will then appear in Google etc searches for example and gather more general exposure.

I tried to make more contributions from a while back but even here we have a keyboard warrior or two, seemingly set only on their views and opinions and argumentative as a result.

Lets hope 'we' can make more of this place without reference or indeed deference to that 'other place' 8-)

Duly noted.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

While I try not to talk about other forums, and I would probably suggest that its not good form to rant about other forums too much, it is a strange place over there. Panerai owners in general have a cult-like mentality, which is often present in other hobbies as well. I'm a knife collector, and I see this type of thinking with Knife Enthusiasts with certain brands and to a similar extent to cars and firearms as well.

I try to get away from the cultishness and appreciate the watches as finely crafted precision timepieces rather than an overly unhealthy emotional attachments.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:53 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

I've participated on a number of Panerai boards and would welcome the opportunity to raise my participation here.

Thanks...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:50 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

i would like to see this place a little more active....the problem here is that you can go days or weeks with no posts, you get a little discouraged when no one is posting.

my motto is just have fun and enjoy the day.

chicago, usa

Post subject: see what i mean....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:58 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

as much as i visit, not enuf activity here

chicago, usa

Post subject: Re: see what i mean....
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:34 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

fullcourt wrote:

see what i mean?!

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:16 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

fullcourt wrote:
fullcourt wrote:

see what i mean?!

And it continues to be quiet here...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:29 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

pbateman wrote:
fullcourt wrote:
fullcourt wrote:

see what i mean?!

And it continues to be quiet here...

bingo, where is everyone?

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:45 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Unfortunately I very rarely visit the site as things don't change very often. But then that is partly my fault for not visiting and contributing very often! sorry...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, it is what it is.. people rarely post because its quiet, and its quiet because people rarely post.. Catch 22 :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:29 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

paneraisource wrote:
Well, it is what it is.. people rarely post because its quiet, and its quiet because people rarely post.. Catch 22 :D

bingo

chicago, usa