The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:20 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Is the damn scarcity of the little buggers. I am an AD only kind of guy (the internet is too scary for me) and I have to tell ya half the fun of the kill is in the spontaneousness (I know thats not a word) of the decision. With Panerai it's always with the waiting lists and waiting for the straps and....it gets old. My AD called and said the factory can't fulfill what they had earlier promised so I should sit tight for another three months on the two models I wanted.

Too bad, for a brand that has SO much going for it, they are taking this whole conceived exclusivity thing overboard :|

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:06 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

While I do get where you're coming from, patience was never my strong point, I do have to say that part of the appeal to me (And I suggest this as my personal viewpoint only) is the scarcity of the product. My 253, for instance, is one of 500 - there are no others. My 219 is one of only 400 - makes it pretty damn special to me.

Try looking at it from another point of view - if the watches were all available, on every street corner, they would perhaps lose their individuality and cachet. Well, for me at least. I have to say that while I don't particularly like waiting 6 months, I do like the fact that I'm very likely one of just a handful of people in France wearing the same model...even less when it comes to the Special Editions. I'm pretty confident that there are less than half a dozen 253 in France (Out of 500 worldwide), and I personally know the owners of three.

I visited my AD today and he has a pretty good range (roughly 20 at my estimation) of Breitling models on display (and others that he has no room for) and 6 Panerai...he also had a 112 and a 210 not on display. I went to find out what was hapening with my 270 - ordered last year - and it'll probably arrive next Thursday. While this is a disapointment it doesn't make a lot of difference in reality.

I don't work for Panerai, and some of their marketing strategies piss me off beyond belief, but I sincerely think that it just wouldn't be the same if these were mass-produced and available everywhere. I love my Breitlings, but it's just not the same, and I'm not talking about accuracy or technical prowess.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:24 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Granted, the exclusivity is part of the whole Panerai expirience. But the whole waiting thing just doesnt suit me. I NEED a PAM 98, 250, and 270 NOW!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

PS: If someone has the aforemensioned models and would be willing to part with them, do give me a holler :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:50 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

good things come to those who wait 8-)

- Alien13 -

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:45 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

I like the fact that you just cant walk into the nearest mall and pick up the model that you want. Good things come to those that wait.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:57 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

I know I've said it before...but I really like to be one of only a handful of people knowing about, quite aside from actually wearing any particular watch. It pleases me greatly.

Quite aside from the historic references we all hear regarding Panerai, I frankly don't think that it is only this aspect which appeals. If another manufacturer were to produce a model I liked, on a similar 'limited' scale, I'd no doubt be interested too, so I don't think the fact that they were designed for the Italian Navy is the only thing influencing me, if at all.

Obviously the history is fascinating, but there's more to it than that, in my opinion.

On other fora I read of people being 'recognised' for their Panerai, and I'm sure this happens - not in a country town of 23000 people, but probably New York or San Fransisco, but I'm not sure if that would please me or p*** me off frankly. I don't walk around with a huge placard saying "hey look, I'm wearing an expensive watch" perhaps because I don't need the recognition...

Having drifted nicely away from the point, I'll now ask a question: what makes Panerai special for you?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:48 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Altair wrote:
Granted, the exclusivity is part of the whole Panerai expirience. But the whole waiting thing just doesnt suit me. I NEED a PAM 98, 250, and 270 NOW!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

PS: If someone has the aforemensioned models and would be willing to part with them, do give me a holler :mrgreen:

I didn't know you were looking for a 270?? I spoke to my AD today (My 270 is in the van, it would seem) and he told me that the telephone at Panerai France was ringing off the hook with people enquiring about this particular model. I'm wondering what made it so popular all of a sudden? I ordered mine before Christmas...

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:09 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

I have been raving about the 270 since you first spoke about it, you convinced me that it would really be THE Luminor to have.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:16 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

A: I think you're right, B: I think I'm right, C: NEVER take any notice of what I say ;)

Seriously, it's a beautiful piece, and combining an automatic movement with a 10 day power reserve is the kind of madness I appreciate!!

What sort of delay has your AD quoted you?