The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:34 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Oh man this really ruins the whole expirience for me, in the two weeks I had this watch it has lost about five minutes :shock: I tested it twise using timeanddate.com and can now confirm that it loses over 20 seconds a day!!! That is so beyond acceptable for 7K watch it is not even funny. I mean what with the relatively simple dial and features you would think that the movement and QC would be much better than this. :evil:

Sending it back his weekend when I have time to stop by my AD.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:55 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

I feel for you - I had a similar problem with my 288. Naturally the AD can do nothing more than sending it back to Panerai, but I rather felt the QC wasn't as stringent as it could have been when the watch was sent out originally. This obviously means a few weeks without it.

Sadly this happens - even with more expensive watches - doesn't make it any better for you though, I know...

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:33 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

i think (IMHO) this has to do with the demand pressure and the shortage of Panerai world wide supply. this might be accelerating the release of watches ealrier than they should at the expense of QC. or could it be that the watch was lying down at the AD for a long period that the watch requires time to settle down one more time?

Comments please, and how many of you guys have experienced similar situation?

- Alien13 -

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I thought the watch was picked up the first day it arrived at his AD.. but I am curious to see how the issue was resolved... any updates Altair?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:51 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

As a matter of fact I got back from my AD just two hours ago, here is what went down:

Although I got the watch less than two hours after it's arrival at my AD (such was my excitement) it was a J series that was apparently manufactured some time earlier (a few months was my AD's guess at the most) and he suspects the "oils have not set in yet". He asked if I had timed it and I reported that it consistently GAINS 22-25 second a day, he said he would be more than happy to send it to Panerai but would recommend that I wait a week and see if it gets any better at all. If it does then it should settle into acceptable limits within the month. I decided that I did not want to wait a month so will just see if it does any better next week though I am not 100% percent convinced by this theory. We shall see.

What does support this theory is that today it gained a "measly" 20 seconds, is this slight improvement coincidental or a sign that the watch is improving is to be seen.

I have to say that it was refreshing to actually talk to an AD who had at least a slight interest in watches, rather than just selling them as is the case with most Ads around here.

This is really putting a damper on my first Pany experience, I spent much less on Breitlings, Omegas, Rolexs and NEVER had anything similar to this happen. On the plus side I am not craving that 98 nearly as much anymore :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:40 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Whilst I understand, I do think your AD was correct (up to a point) and that you should wear the watch and let it settle down a few days/weeks before writing it off completely. Oil in any mechanism will settle and come off pinions etc. and I feel sure that if you were to wear it for a few days you may see a change as the mechanism re-boots itself.

From losing 20 seconds to gaining 20 seconds a day is a huge amount - are you sure about this?

Set the time once (to an atomic clock) and then let the watch run as long as possible (a week?) beofre checking again against the same reference.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:10 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

I misspoke, what I meant was that it was gaining in my initial post.

I set it to the reference at timeanddate.com and will check back next week.