The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:05 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum today as a true "Pamless" Pam fan:) from Turkey. I am standing on the edge of buying a Pam nowadays and just waiting for Euro to lose some value against Turkish Lira. From experience though I learned that the best part of buying a Pam is the decision stage which took more than 6-7 months for me.

So here is my first question set to you. I know that this topic has been covered directly or indirectly many times but some outstanding points that are not clear in my mind are:

1- I know 112 has a swans neck regulator whereas 0000 doesn't. What is that regulator? And is it a really big thing given that both of the mechanisms are ETA 6497 based? Any other differences in mechanism wise?

2- I've seen a 112 before but never a 000. In terms of the cases, I am not sure if they are completely the same. The information in the official panerai site is a bit misleading where it says the "device protecting the crown" is brushed steel in 112, but polished steel in 000. Is it really true?

3- What about the sides of the cases for both models? From the pics I am not completely sure. Do both models have polished or brushed steel on the sides? I always thought the difference in 112 is limited to an exhibition case and sandwich dial. It seems thay are not the only differences between two models?

4- I know 112 comes with an extra rubber strap in the box. Is it the same for Pam 0 or not?

If you could help me on the above, I would really appreciate and probably may come back with further questions:) Thank you!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think the biggest differences between the two are:

1. PAM000 does not have a sandwich dial.. it is a painted dial with the logo on it. PAM112 is sandwich.
2. PAM000 does not have a display back. PAM112 does.
3. OP I movement vs. OP X movement. The OP I was the original iteration of the OP X without the swans neck regulator and said to have a slightly inferior level of finish. I have never seen an OP I so I cannot comment on that part.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:02 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

I thought so, I considered both and made the choice for the 112. Sandwich dial and open back being the obvious- worth the 700 retail difference to me anyway...

Now, if only it would arrive! (on order since April 6th)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:17 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Taking so long, now talking myself into a 111 with the second hand...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:50 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Go with the 111. I had the 000 at first and I really liked it but I felt the need to actually see some type of movement like a seconds hand or something. I feel it was definitely worth the price difference. Also he open back is a great touch.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

While I like the 111, the the simplicity of the 112 dial does have its charm. Personally, I wouldn't kick either one out my bed tho ;)