The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: DINGS and SCRATCHES
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:42 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

DAMN! I just banged my pam111 against a metal pole while at the mall with wifey. I was so scared to look down at my wrist to access the damage. I ended up with a pretty deep scrape on the bezel near the 5 0'clock position. I was sooo upset. I know hairline scratches are inevitable but this is a little worse. I would prefer dings around the case and not on the bezel. My wife says the bruise adds character but I think she was just trying to calm me down. Im not the type to babysit my watches as i wear them so Im not that anal but this particular ding really bothers me. Especially when I rub my fingernail against it and feel how deep it is. Does anyone have any words of encouragement or similar experiences. thx!

Post subject: Re: DINGS and SCRATCHES
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:12 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

95akcoop wrote:
DAMN! I just banged my pam111 against a metal pole while at the mall with wifey. I was so scared to look down at my wrist to access the damage. I ended up with a pretty deep scrape on the bezel near the 5 0'clock position. I was sooo upset. I know hairline scratches are inevitable but this is a little worse. I would prefer dings around the case and not on the bezel. My wife says the bruise adds character but I think she was just trying to calm me down. Im not the type to babysit my watches as i wear them so Im not that anal but this particular ding really bothers me. Especially when I rub my fingernail against it and feel how deep it is. Does anyone have any words of encouragement or similar experiences. thx!

sh!t happens....they're watches and do get scratched up....i did the same to a watch i had looked to purchase for over 2 years....had it about 4 months and scratched it. bring it to your authorized dealer and maybe they can fix it....good luck

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Depending on how deep it is, they may or may not be able to fix it. They can certainly make it less obvious, but they may have to remove so much material you will notice that it is somewhat off in shape. I've had this done before. It does look better than a deep scrape sometimes, but it depends on the location. Bezels are the worst. You can always have the bezel replaced.. it is a separate piece and I believe Panerai will replace it for $$

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:48 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

yea if i gotta have a deep scratch/scrape or a dent somewhere, i'd prefer it on the bezel...as it's easily replaceable compared with the case. last time i asked a rad bezel was around $200. luminor should be in the same neighborhood?

...and OUCH is right, sorry about the mishap.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:15 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Thanks admin and cxbxax for the info. I had no idea the bezel was replaceable....thats a huge relief knowing I wont have to live with this scrape forever. I will guess ill wait and collect a few more dents on the bezel before getting a new one. At this rate it wont be long. lol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:48 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Hello everyone,

I find my Panerai / Ferrari 00010 seems to be made of softer S.S. than either of my Rolex / Tudors, or for that matter my Chinese watches. Since I got the case polished I have taken to wearing the silicone rubber cover on the watch to prevent scratching it up. :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yikes! That silicon cover is ugly... how can you enjoy your watch with that on it?

I have not had the same experience as you, however Rolex does use a different steel in their watches that is more scratch resistant. Tudor does not use this steel, however.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:01 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

I have a 1982 (pre Tiger) Tudor SS Cosmograph and a 1992 Rolex SS/G Daytona both of which I bought new. And they are both much more scratch resistant than the Fer00010 which I had for 5 months before needing polishing. Now admittedly the Fer is a larger case so it probably gets banged more but still, the Tudor is 28 years old. As for the cover, Yeah, its not as attractive as the SS but every time I catch a door knob I go, alright one less scratch! And I really love the size and feel of the watch, so I like to wear it. And if you notice the date of 1982, I did buy the Tudor before multi-dial watches were cool for the masses, because I liked it so much; so not much change in my taste over the years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:24 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

lhpcope wrote:
Hello everyone,

I find my Panerai / Ferrari 00010 seems to be made of softer S.S. than either of my Rolex / Tudors, or for that matter my Chinese watches. Since I got the case polished I have taken to wearing the silicone rubber cover on the watch to prevent scratching it up. :evil:

the only time i use the silicone cover is when the watch is in the watch winder....

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

fullcourt wrote:
the only time i use the silicone cover is when the watch is in the watch winder....

My cover sits in the watch box.. I never put it on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:23 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

paneraisource wrote:
fullcourt wrote:

My cover sits in the watch box.. I never put it on.

i started using it because this watch is so heavy it was flopping around and hitting the other watch i have on the winder....other than that i dont use it at all

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:52 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

To the OP: you may want to try Cape Code polishing cloth, if the scratches/dings are not very deep.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cape Cods work great for cleaning up scuffs.

I'll go a step further and post a link to my article on polishing:
http://blog.breitlingsource.com/2008/12 ... -finishes/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:43 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Totally agree, I use Cape Cods on my other watches and they are amazing at taking out light scratches. It can be a bit messy but so is washing the car!

I wouldn't use them all the time tho, maybe every 6 months or so the rest of the time its a soft toothbrush and some fairy liquid! :D

Cheers