The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Question about PAM104
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:13 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Hi guys, what's up ? i just bought my first panerai today (PAM104) and its a beautiful watch :D

So as this is my first automatic watch i have a couple of questions;

1. Do I need to wind the watch everyday or just when it competely stops ? also would i break the watch if i wind it in wrong direction (winding it down as suppose it to be up)

2. Also i was told that to adjust the time i should do it clockwise, is it true ? what if i do it anti-clockwise ? lets say now the time is 9 pm and i want to adjust it to 6pm can i just adjust it anti clockwise ?

Thank you very much !!
Regards,
William

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You should always adjust forward, mostly because the date mechanism doesn't always like it when you move backwards past midnight. If you are adjusting within the same day only a few hours you should be okay.

You do not need to wind it every day unless of course it stops. This is the nature of the automatic movement - it should wind while you are wearing it.

Congratulations on the beautiful watch! Let's see some pics! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:50 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Thank you for your reply, i will get some pictures of the watch today.

Also i have one more question, i hope you dont mind !!

1. What is the safe way to change the date ? can i just pull the crown to second position and set the date , or do i have to set the date one day before and then set the time clockwise until the date change ?

I am sorry if my english is bad :)

Thank you !!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nightrain wrote:
Thank you for your reply, i will get some pictures of the watch today.

Also i have one more question, i hope you dont mind !!

1. What is the safe way to change the date ? can i just pull the crown to second position and set the date , or do i have to set the date one day before and then set the time clockwise until the date change ?

I am sorry if my english is bad :)

Thank you !!

Generally speaking, you should only change the date when the time is NOT between 9pm and 3am as the date change mechanism may be partially engaged and cause damage. Otherwise you can change the date any way you wish.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:44 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Hello, sorry for the late reply, anyway i have taken some pics of the watch, please enjoy !! (sorry for the reflection, and yes the watch is a little dusty because i kept wearing it everyday !!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great watch!! Have you considered getting an aftermarket strap for it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:47 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Hi,

Yes i have been thinking about some aftermarket straps, can you recommend me some good ones ?

Thanks !!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It depends largely on your budget and the style you are looking for. I've reviewed a whole bunch of them here:
http://www.paneraisource.com/aftermarket_straps.shtml

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:02 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

^ Alright, i will look into it, thanks !!

Anyway i think i had a minor problem with my panerai. So I didnt wear my panerai for about a week then today when i wind up the crown for about 20 times the second hand didnt move. Then i adjusted the date & time, and I wind up the crown once again and it started working. This is a little bit weird, can you help me ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not sure how that movement is, as I've not owned one before, but if you get 42hrs or so from a full charge and the watch is keeping good time you likely have nothing to worry about. I've had a few automatics before that take a lot of winds before the second hand starts moving when the watch has completely wound down.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:55 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Here are the detailed problems

i wound the crown clockwise for about 25 times but the second hand still didnt move, i had to pull the crown to the next position and put it back again, then wound for about 25 times and the second hand started working, is this normal ?

2. I have wound the watches manually for about 25 times but the watch can only last for 10 hours. i was told by the authorized dealer that it should last for 2 days even if you didnt wear the watch. Is my watch defective ?

It is a pity if i had to return the watch to AD as i have just bought it one month ago..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:25 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

paneraisource wrote:
It depends largely on your budget and the style you are looking for. I've reviewed a whole bunch of them here:
http://www.paneraisource.com/aftermarket_straps.shtml

toshi watch bands....rich is awesome and the bands he crafts are great looking

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nightrain wrote:
Here are the detailed problems

i wound the crown clockwise for about 25 times but the second hand still didnt move, i had to pull the crown to the next position and put it back again, then wound for about 25 times and the second hand started working, is this normal ?

2. I have wound the watches manually for about 25 times but the watch can only last for 10 hours. i was told by the authorized dealer that it should last for 2 days even if you didnt wear the watch. Is my watch defective ?

It is a pity if i had to return the watch to AD as i have just bought it one month ago..

It should last for 2 days on a full charge... but how many winds a full charge is is not certain. If you wind it up, and wear it for 2 days, very actively, does it keep running for for 40+ hours after that? If you are unsure, take it back to the dealer and have them check it out.