The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:23 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Hi guyz, just looking for a bit of help here.

I've been hanckering over a panerai now for a while, today I was out window shopping when I stumbled across Watches of Switzerland in Glasgow. They seemed to have a great collection and there were 3 that took my eye. The 000, 112 and possibly a 104, can't remember!

Anyway the assistant was very helpful but did say they won't give discount on any models but they do do interest free credit which appealed to me straight away as I've just bought a Legende and don't quite fancy shelling out another 3 odd grand on another watch.

The 112 really took my fancy and it was priced at £3100, the assistant said that there would be a full 2 yr warranty from Panerai so what do you guyz think, should I be asking anymore questions or is there anything you can tell me to add to the above?

Loved the look of these watches but I only have a couple of days to decide so any advice is much appreciated cheers.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:52 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

I would definitely narrow it down between the 000 and the 112. Both are very simplicity and capture the clean beauty of the panerai brand. You cant go wrong with either one. Personally I would go with the 000. I just love the logo on the dial. But the 112 has a sandwich dial and open caseback. All are great features. Im assuming this is going to be your 1st Pam purchase so go with the cheaper one and get a feel for the brand. It will not be your last, for they are very addictive. I owned the 000 and fell in love with it. It has a very nice weight to it. I currently own a pam111 which is basically a 112 but with a small seconds hand at 9 o'clock. Its very hard to get any sort of discount on panerai in the US. See if they can throw in a strap of your choice to sweeten the deal, thats usually all they give me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:46 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Thanks for that, I'm probably looking at the 112 to be honest but I'm also thinking about the 312 now!!! I have to phone and see if they have a 312 first but as you say the logo on the 000 really makes the watch but the 112 has the open back which I think is really different. I do like the simplicity of the 000 and the 112 but I also like the look of the date and seconds hand on the 312.

A few decisions to make I think!

Thanks for the reply.

ps Why so little activity on this site? I log on now and again but not much changes.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:34 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

I totally agree about the lack of activity on this forum compared to others. And its a shame because I feel ADMIN does a wonderful job but I wish others would chime in more often with pics and insights. But then again, I visit paneristi.com a lot and thats complete overload...waaay to much info at times : )....but you gotta love it!

Now, the pam312 is on another lever! It has all the cool attributes of panerai wrapped in one. It is definitely a beauty but currently out my price range.

ps, are you the same andrew on breitlingsource.com with the awesome avengers?!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:45 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Yeah thats me! ;)

I'm thinking I need a change of direction a bit and always hanckered after the Pam's. I still love the Breitlings but I have 4 now so just feel I would like something different.

I just bought a Legende 2 or 3 months ago so splashing out 3 or 4 thousand is not an option but the AD is doing interest free on the Panerai's and although I don't usually go down that route for anything £65 a month seems too good an offer not to take up at the moment.

Its a pity this site is not more active because its really well laid out, better than Paneristi IMO, there seems to be so much going on there and its been going so long that this site probably takes second place.

Anyway I'll keep this updated and let you know how it goes!

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:20 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

yea i posted on the other board i'd prefer a 000 over a 112. if u'd asked me last year i'd say 112...sandwich dial, display back, swan-neck regulator what's not to love! however lately i agree the 000 with the logo is truer to the old vintage pams with the caseback.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A lot of people share that sentiment

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:14 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Firtly thanks for the commentsa they really helped in making my mind up!

Well i totally changed my mind! I've decided to go for the 000 and have paid the deposit. I'll be on the mainland in 7 weeks time to pick it up and if they have a 312 which they think should be in around then I'll try it on and see what I think. The AD has told me that my deposit will be transferable if I want to change so that's that!! :D

I decided to go with the 000 purely because of the logo, I know the 112 has the open caseback, the dynamics and parts of a watch are not really why I buy them, more the look of the watch and I love that logo on the face. If I try the 312 and like it I will probably go for it but at the mo I think I need to try it on and have a look before making the decision.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:47 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Great choice andrew!! You will not be disappointed but make sure you give the clean dial a chance before you do anything drastic like I did. Its a completely different look than your avengers. The 000 was my 1st panerai purchase about 2yrs ago. My AD told me to get it because of the historical aesthetics and rarity even though I had my mind set on a 111 which was roughly $1200 more. I went ahead and bought the 000 but 6 months later ended up trading it in to purchase the 111. I felt I was missing something...felt the dial was too quiet. Of course i got robbed on the trade-in but I finally got the watch I THOUGHT I wanted. Needless to say, last week I went back and traded the 111 for another 000. I know it sounds crazy but for me the open caseback ,sandwich dial, and seconds hand kinda got old and thats when I really began to appreciate the simplicity of the 000. IMO, the 000 makes a great start to a collection and it just might be the epitome of the brand itself. Im finally at ease now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:17 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Thats exactly my thinking so its encouraging to know I'm not alone! Good story about the 000 aswell, I'm glad you've found peace with the 000! :D

7 weeks is going to be a very long wait I think!!

From what I'm seeing and reading about Panerai on the 3 different forums over the last few days I think the 000 seems to be the 'iconic' watch of the brand. I know it's the base model and probably the cheapest but that doesn't matter. I've had a good look at the range now and the watches that seem to hit the spot for me are the Luminor Base and Marina ranges, I'm not to keen on the Radiomir as I don't like the crown or the thin strap holders.

Anyway thats me just now I'm away to explore some more!

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:29 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

andrew692003 wrote:
From what I'm seeing and reading about Panerai on the 3 different forums over the last few days I think the 000 seems to be the 'iconic' watch of the brand. I know it's the base model and probably the cheapest but that doesn't matter.
Cheers

most would say it's the best bang for the bucks 8-)

i'm currently looking for an 005. i may be a little off but i prefer base on rads and the small second on luminors...prolly having something to do with square rad face and round luminor.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I kind of like the base models on all of them, they have a simplistic charm to them, but then I wouldn't kick a small second model out of bed either ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:02 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

andrew, nice choice....i bought my first pam a 328 and i love it. now i'm looking at getting another one, not sure which one yet but we'll see. almost bought the 312 but decided on the ss bracelet of the 328. enjoy it and post up a pic when you get it

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:45 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

i love the bracelet on the 328. you see alot of leather with panerais so when it's on a bracelet it really stand out. i wish panerai would come out with more bracelet options for the non-historic models.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:02 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Just an update here. I phoned the AD yesterday about straps and he could tell me that they had just received the 312 so I gave it a bit more thought overnight and then phoned this morning to change my deposit on the 000 to the 312 :D !

5 weeks to go so I'll be counting the days now :( !

I've been looking at so many pics the last 3 weeks that I started to think that although I love the simplistic look of the 000, and that logo but I thought that I may get bored with having nothing else to look at. I love the look of the 312, the second hand, the small date and the open caseback I just thought.....what the hell, just go for it.

I haven't actually tried the 312 on or even seen it in the flesh but I'm sure I'll like it! :D

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The 312 wears very much like the 000 does IMO. The 44mm 1950's case is very similar head-on, the the added bonus of the REG TM marking on the crown guard.

Congrats!!! I am really feeling the yearning for a 312 but have had a lot of other watches land on my lap lately.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:54 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one....it would be a dream to just get them both!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My next bigger purchase needs to be a B01.. then I will get the 312!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:36 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

awesome andrew....i just got a toshi leather watch band yesterday, going on the watch today....my first choice was the 312, but once i saw the 328 with the ss band i was hooked....looking forward to seeing the pics once you have it.

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:02 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Good choice on the 312...I like the 000 as well, but given a choice between the two, I'd go for the 312.

I was going to get a 320, but put a deposit down on a 321 about a year ago. My AD got the 320 in and offered it to me if I didn't want to wait - but I just love the Power Reserve on the front and think it may be more collectible.

BTW - got my first PAM today - the 358 - and it's kind of sad how much I'm staring at my wrist.

I'm hooked!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:15 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Ack - I got the PAM359 - not sure why I keep saying the 358 :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:10 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Cheers lads, I've got 4 weeks to wait until I get to the mainland to go pick it up! :D

Can't wait, the AD says they have quite a few straps so I may purchase one if I fancy it at the time.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:49 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Well some was asking how the wait was going so here we go!

...................a long bloody wait, can't wait for next Friday tho so 8 days to go :D but in the last day I've just purchased a house :D which means I'm still getting the 312 :D but may have to sell one of my watches to get some pennies for refurbishing :cry: .

'Maybe' was the key word there by the way! :D

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:28 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

congrats on the house bro! the 312 may be alot more water resistant...but i'll take the house when it's raining outside.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, congrats on the house! Now that the house is out of the way it just means you can focus more on watches!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:23 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Thanks lads, I was thinking now I have a house al be buying no more watches for a few years! We'll see. ;)

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I did not start buying watches until after I bought my first house... and the watch buying snowballed!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:51 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

paneraisource wrote:
I did not start buying watches until after I bought my first house... and the watch buying snowballed!

i bought a few before i bought my current house, but the pam was a recent purchase, now i want more....8^)

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:48 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Pick up the 312 tommorrow! Can't bloody wait.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:43 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

so... are you getting the 312 and 000?!