The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:15 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Hi Guys,

Well, i'm set to buy my first Panerai. But having trouble on deciding between the PAM 104 and PAM 164.

What i like with the 104 is dial without the arabic number (or just 2 of them) but the case i am a little hesitant to. The entire case is polished.

What i like with the 164 is the polished/brushed (two tones) look and somehow feel a bit "rough" and maybe more suitable when starting to change straps. What i don't like is the arabic numbers.

Both has cons and pros, would love to have some input from you guys who are more experienced in Panerai.

Thanks
Dennis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:11 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Have you considered the 312? It has one more arabic number (9) but does have a nice brushed case/polished bezel combination. It might be the best compromise between the 104 & 164. It is more expensive though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:17 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

GX9901 wrote:
Have you considered the 312? It has one more arabic number (9) but does have a nice brushed case/polished bezel combination. It might be the best compromise between the 104 & 164. It is more expensive though.
Thanks, i thought about it last night, you mentioning it also and i think i'll go for the 312.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:04 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Im not a fan of either one. And though I don't own a 312, I would have to say its one of the HOTTEST pams made. 1950 style case and sandwich dial. Then, on top of that you get a seconds hand and a date window without the cyclops...what more could you ask of a watch? Superb choice!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:11 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Swede wrote:
GX9901 wrote:
Thanks, i thought about it last night, you mentioning it also and i think i'll go for the 312.

Great choice on the 312 if you do go for it. 8-)

Here are some pics I've posted of my 312 with various straps in the gallery to whet your appetite: http://www.paneraisource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=665

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

312 is definately a better choice, but if its not in your budget, then definately the 104. The 164's arabics are not my fav.

I've seen lots of 104's and they are nice. Very similar to my 90, but without the power reserve.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:33 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

GX9901 wrote:
Swede wrote:
GX9901 wrote:

Great choice on the 312 if you do go for it. 8-)

Here are some pics I've posted of my 312 with various straps in the gallery to whet your appetite: http://www.paneraisource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=665

That is some really nice pictures and straps.

Well, paid the deposit and will be picking up my 312 next month when i am in Hong Kong.

(What is wrong with me? already looking for straps and i don't even have the watch yet!)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey makes sense to me... you don't want to be waiting another month for straps right? :)