The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:29 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

I've been browsing the site for a while, but I've been on Breitling Source for a couple years. :)

A friend of mine bought a panerai but he told me that he's not sure which model it is... So I told him I'd try to figure it for him and also perhaps getting any extra info about numbers, etc.

Thanks!

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks fake to me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:37 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

paneraisource wrote:
Looks fake to me.

Honestly, I thought the same... I couldn't tell any big differences for it being fake.. He said he'd take better pictures with a camera since I hope he didn't get scammed since it was from a jeweler store. :shock:

I appreciate your respond. Thanks

Edit:

Wouldn't the PB 1000000 on his picture... I'm guessing that it should be the serial? It looks weird for all 0's

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:45 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

That is a very poor fake :cry: The subseconds is all wrong along with many other aspects/details. I'd be back to where it was supplied from personally :|

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:32 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

I'm no pro but I have to agree it looks fake. just by looking the second and date window.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Proportioning and location of nearly all the elements are incorrect. Also, the device protecting the crown is inferior in quality.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:15 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Thanks about all the posts. It ends up that my friend has some problems with this panerai... I'm showing him all the differences on it, so he took a better picture of the back for me to look at it.. It still looks weird to me...

For the pictures I first thought it looked like a PAM 91, 164, or 220 since theyre similar but, I'm really not a pro picking out panerais.

Heres the recent picture, but I told him that I definitely need more pictures than just a couple, which means that the front needed a clearer shot. I'll add that to this thread.

I dont know much about the markings on the back, but the crown clasp (sp?) which i thought were a bit closer to the case how this one sticks out a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:25 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Here are a couple more pics... I still dont know what to tell him. I just really hope that its real without him having some problems while handling this... Its really that the store lost all the paperwork and the box? Not a good previous owner for their panerai. =/

edit: The font on the tang seems pretty strange... however- I do know that you guys would figure it. I'm definitely better for breitlings thought.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:53 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

looks really fake to me too. subdial placement is too close to center, date font too small, the 2 on "12" is really ugly, panerai tang buckle is a mess etc etc.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:18 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Unfortunately, what you show is a FAKE and a bad one at that. Your friend needs to return to the seller for refund.

What it's trying to be is a PAM 104 but it doesn't get anywhere near it. http://www.panerai.com/s_page.xpd?id_li ... tegoria=35

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:33 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Baz1950 wrote:
Unfortunately, what you show is a FAKE and a bad one at that. Your friend needs to return to the seller for refund.

What it's trying to be is a PAM 104 but it doesn't get anywhere near it. http://www.panerai.com/s_page.xpd?id_li ... tegoria=35

Thank you! I will tell him asap.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:21 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

This one is clearly a fake. No question about that.There are many tells.First, the subdial is completely out of location. Second, there is a blue-ish glue in the glass, Third, the font used for Panerai Luminor is totally wrong, as is the font on the buckle.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:27 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

paneraisource wrote:
Proportioning and location of nearly all the elements are incorrect. Also, the device protecting the crown is inferior in quality.

Admin,

Are you referring to the Stamped, Sheet Metal, Scaffolding that surrounds the crown ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:19 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

acceldebt wrote:
paneraisource wrote:

Admin,

Are you referring to the Stamped, Sheet Metal, Scaffolding that surrounds the crown ?

I think even on that dire fake, the CG would be machined and not stamped. The inlet for the locking lever would still require machining regardless ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:33 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Friends,

Heres an update for the story-

I kept telling my friend all the differences with a real panerai. I told him taking his 'watch' back to the jewelry store and that he asked if they could open the back and compare it with a real one next to it...

The man that sold then gasped since it was definitely a fake. They told him that it was bought from a estate sale, so they took it back without any problems so they gave him back all his cash @ $2000.

He got lucky with that! I'm glad I noticed that it was strange looking, but I couldnt figure which model it would have been. :)

Thanks!!

BTW... I'm also planning on buying a Panerai for my next watch since I wear a Breitling Montbrillant Datora now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow.. a jewelry store sold him that?!?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:26 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

paneraisource wrote:
Wow.. a jewelry store sold him that?!?

Yessir! I was pretty scared myself after hearing about them. I would have hoped that jewelry stores would check out watches being traded in. I'm glad that my friend did not losing money from all your all eagle eye members. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Glad he was able to get his money back! :mrgreen: