The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: HELP!!! 321 or 270?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:41 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

I Purchased the Pam 321. I've had it for only a couple of months. It's a great watch but I keep looking up the 270. The 270 has everything but the second reset and it's not a 300mm like the 321. Should I sell the 321 now and upgrade to the 270? or should I keep the 321 and put the price difference towards the 368??

Post subject: Re: HELP!!! 321 or 270?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'd put the money towards a 368. While the 270 is an awesome watch with a great 10 day movement, super domed crystal, etc., I personally would not see as much of a difference from the 321 and would rather score another watch especially with the tobacco dial.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:22 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Go to the shop and try the PAM270 & PAM368 - your stomach will tell you which one you should buy :-)

My favorite would be the PAM368 - a timeless watch.

GOOD LUCK !

Cheers,
Alex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:30 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

go to an ad and try them on first, then decide

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:02 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

mlpugh@gmail.com wrote:
I Purchased the Pam 321. I've had it for only a couple of months. It's a great watch but I keep looking up the 270. The 270 has everything but the second reset and it's not a 300mm like the 321. Should I sell the 321 now and upgrade to the 270? or should I keep the 321 and put the price difference towards the 368??

The 270 does have 'seconds reset'. Personally i don't like the awkward position of the 321's PR indicator but hey, we're all different. A debate between a 320 and 270 i can see, but a 321 and 270 i don't personally see. I think the 320 is a 'cleaner' look over a 270 though the domed crystal is a great attraction. Will you actually swim with either to warrant a 300m rating?

I've had two 233's which i think is better looking than both, but the well documented issues with that model came to visit me and both watches are now gone, i will not be trying try another one. That said 312's seem to be self destructing now too with screws and plates coming loose inside the case. That's pretty unimpressive for Panerai, and the prices we all pay for these items means we should expect and get more than we sometimes do.

The 368 is a destro of course, a 47mm case and nothing like any of the other options, i can't see how that would work tbh. It's also very expensive/overpriced, imo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:06 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Baz, wow i did not know the 312 was having problems.. That is not attractive.. I have not heard of any problems with the 270. That is why I was looking at that over the 233. If I stay with the 321 I can invest the 7k into the 368. But then again that is an 8 day movement which I guess could have problems. Sucks! :? The 375 is sweet it just needs a PR on the back and I would be after that one full speed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:11 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Baz1950 wrote:
That said 312's seem to be self destructing now too with screws and plates coming loose inside the case. That's pretty unimpressive for Panerai, and the prices we all pay for these items means we should expect and get more than we sometimes do.

anything hand made will have issues, heck my 328 was back to the spa twice, but it had a complete service and is running great, also looks good as new.

the csr's @ pasc were awesome and treated me great, keeping me informaed every step of the way. i wasn't happy about what happened but everything was covered under warranty and the watch was back to me in 3 weeks, not bad at all.

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:11 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

fullcourt wrote:
Baz1950 wrote:
That said 312's seem to be self destructing now too with screws and plates coming loose inside the case. That's pretty unimpressive for Panerai, and the prices we all pay for these items means we should expect and get more than we sometimes do.

anything hand made will have issues, heck my 328 was back to the spa twice, but it had a complete service and is running great, also looks good as new.

the csr's @ pasc were awesome and treated me great, keeping me informaed every step of the way. i wasn't happy about what happened but everything was covered under warranty and the watch was back to me in 3 weeks, not bad at all.

But beyond a certain price point, say $5000/£3250 they should be very isolated incidents which they clearly aren't. Add the growing number of P9000 movement issues to the very well known and discussed P2002 problems and there are way too many imo. Sad but true.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:44 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Baz1950 wrote:
But beyond a certain price point, say $5000/£3250 they should be very isolated incidents which they clearly aren't. Add the growing number of P9000 movement issues to the very well known and discussed P2002 problems and there are way too many imo. Sad but true.

i think we hear more about them because of the internet....sh!t happens with every major watch maker. pasc has been great to me so even though i wasn't happy with what happened i was treated well and i guess in the end that's all that counts.

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:00 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

fullcourt wrote:
Baz1950 wrote:

i think we hear more about them because of the internet....sh!t happens with every major watch maker. pasc has been great to me so even though i wasn't happy with what happened i was treated well and i guess in the end that's all that counts.

It seems you are a more forgiving and generous person than me. I abandoned owing a 233 as the troubles i had with two different examples were laughable though not funny, even the factory couldn't get one of them to run remotely properly.

I agree that dealing with a problem well is to some extent reassuring. However my point is, for the price point we’re all buying into here, these problems should be rarer than they are.

I’m grateful for internet exposure personally, it gives us all more ammunition to use when problems do arise. I agree too that other brands have their problems but that is still no excuse for poor workmanship in a premium, luxury price tagged product. Much as I like the Panerai brand I do wonder whether the prolific releases of new movements hasn’t meant they hit production too soon in some cases and needed better testing and trialling which clearly the early models of 233 did.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did not hear about the problems with the 312 baz - do you have links to some discussions or point me in the right direction?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:51 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

paneraisource wrote:
Did not hear about the problems with the 312 baz - do you have links to some discussions or point me in the right direction?

There are a few detailed over at that other place (i won't post direct links) the motor in 'fullcourts' 328 is of course the same P9000 and i'm aware of one or two more in the UK that have had issues. Being negative, 270's aren't without some hassles too but thankfully are very much less than the 'infamous' 233.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:34 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Baz1950 wrote:
fullcourt wrote:
Baz1950 wrote:

It seems you are a more forgiving and generous person than me. I abandoned owing a 233 as the troubles i had with two different examples were laughable though not funny, even the factory couldn't get one of them to run remotely properly.

I agree that dealing with a problem well is to some extent reassuring. However my point is, for the price point we’re all buying into here, these problems should be rarer than they are.

I’m grateful for internet exposure personally, it gives us all more ammunition to use when problems do arise. I agree too that other brands have their problems but that is still no excuse for poor workmanship in a premium, luxury price tagged product. Much as I like the Panerai brand I do wonder whether the prolific releases of new movements hasn’t meant they hit production too soon in some cases and needed better testing and trialling which clearly the early models of 233 did.

maybe it because i realize that nothing is going to work 100% of the time, agreed that for the price my wife paid for my 328 to have any issues was a bit troubling at first, the mounting tab issue and then the watch stopping did not make me happy, but in the real world things happen, i'm not making excuses for it but pasc is aware of the problems and has, at least in my case, handled them better than expected. i have friends who own rollies, breitlings, and many other high end watches and they have issues and their cs is not nearly as good as pasc. did panerai "rush" these movts into the marketplace, i cant say for sure but all i know is i'd buy another pam over almost any other high end brand out there. the joy that i get out of the wearing of my pam far outweighs the minor issues it's had.

as far as being forgiving and generous, that might stem from the fact that i've worked so hard over the last 16 years, starting my own business and dealing with the day to day struggles that as long as i get out of bed in the morning everything else is gravy....great discussion

just my .02, ymmv

chicago, usa