The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Post SIHH reflections...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:29 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

The exhibition halls have been cleared and everyone has gone home from Geneva - so what have we learned particularly with regard to Panerai?

An interesting fair, and with the new products, and a few questions/comments spring to mind...

The new P.900x in-house movements are all autos. Will there be any manual wind versions?

A couple of new titanium 'Daylights' with gorgeous blue dials have been added to the lineup. Will there be a 251 (Ivory dial) equivalent?
The new 'Daylights' have (thankfully imo) the round '1950' push buttons for the chrono functions instead of the rectangular buttons used up until now. Will the 250/251 be modified to have this feature or will they too be phased out?

Confirmation that the bracelet models 50, 236, 279 and 283 will be discontinued.

Sadly no new/re-released Destro model, but confirmation that the 219 will at least continue in 'L' - 400 units.

It seems likely that the same AM/PM indicator from the 270 will probably be used in all the manifattura models in future, which means that the 233 will lose it's 'dot'.

Comments?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:34 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

I hadn't thought to think about it in truth. I have my name down at my AD for a 312 and a 320, i'm first for both :) UK deliveries are March/April for the 312 and April/May for the 320. I think the 320 i desire more but i'll wait on seeing the 312 in the flesh first.

I admit to second thoughts on the 28 and made enquiries this morning. Currently Panerai in the UK don't know how many are coming but unsurprisingly have a number of confirmed orders already. I'm trying to join in now!

It's good to have affordable in-house movements, maybe it will stop the endless critics bashing the brand for using 'bought in'. I find it rather tedious and very boring. If you don't like something, simply don't buy it!

At the upper end, i can appreciate the pieces for what they are but they don't feature on my radar, the bank balance isn't strong enough, nor is the desire to own them. The star of the show, the 341 confuses me. I don't personally see the point in it. It's not a user friendly item for daily use and so few can hope to own one in their exotic collections, i don't have or show any interest as a result. Having read the words of some, they are rather lemming like, imo, with the adoration lavished on an ugly goliath, irrespective of the fact it has significant to Panerai, history.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:39 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

As I've stated before, the 341 is a bit of a strange beast and I question it's real 'usefulness', but the fact that Panerai have made it encourages me as it shows they're willing to go out on a limb with the occasional unusual piece. What makes me laugh are the comments regarding the use of the P.2002 movement in it - what on earth is wrong with that? Despite all my moaning (Hmm David?) I think it's a fantastic idea to mix the old and the new - what better way than to reproduce a 1956 case with a 2002 movement - brilliant, and I hope we see more 'one offs' like this. A marvellous way of continuing the history of the marque.

I'm keen to know just how much sway the 'paneristi' community have with Panerai, in particular the criticisms of the auto-only P.900x series. If people only 'feel' the history by winding up their watches every morning, far be it from me to stop them, but I'm a particularly lazy person, and the fact that the watch does it all by itself is a bonus in my eyes ;) so the new in-house movements are definately a move in the right direction.

Personally I am attracted to the 'peculiar' models - the 270 doesn't need a 10 day power reserve AND an automatic movement - that's why I love it. In the same way, the 28 with the Soprod movement, is the only current model with a sweep seconds hand - magic! I've just picked up a 164, again an oddity as it's the only black faced dial model with all the numbers - well actually, no 3 or 9, but even so, you get my drift... :) Now if only they had made it without the cyclops.... :lol:

Interestingly, I've also seen a number of comments regarding the use of the 'sandwich' dial on the new 30x series - it would seem that there are people who prefer the painted version, which seems a little inconsistent as it seems to me that these are the very same people crying out for historical accuracy... :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:08 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

During the course of the day, i've begun to question more and more the sense in me buying a 312/320 :? It is novel, revelationary even for an in house movement at this end of the Panerai price range but i hardly wear my 212 in the '1950' case as it is :? I like the cyclops, as i have half a chance of reading the date with it, without it, none!

I think if i'm given better than evens on getting a 28, i'll jump ship if i have to. If i'm 'allowed ' to keep my name on all three, i'll do so and reserve judgment on the 312/320 until i see them for myself. I'm not averse to change but i do like the Luminor case, and i appreciate it will continue, probably long into the future, maybe with the in house movement at some time? That, i'm thinking slowly, is what i may actually prefer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:48 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

My chances of getting a 28 are confirmed, unsurprisingly in reality, as slim to none. 'My' AD already has confirmed orders for six and they anticiapte thay may get three. My delayed decision to seek one had no bearing, as the three 'guaranteed' recipients are all long term client/collectors.

So, with less enthusiasm than originally, i will wait on the new models to appear, then decide if i like them enough to part with money :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:41 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Sadly this is often the case, and I can't say I'm surprised. When you consider there are about 450 AD worldwide, plus the Boutiques, it's not difficult to see why there are so few available - after all, only 1000 will be produced.

My AD has been allocated 2, and they're both spoken for - do the math! Of course, one could argue that this is a classic example of why Panerai should produce more. I don't agree. Despite your (possible) disappointment, you have to admit that if they were produced in vast numbers, they'd be far less attractive, and Panerai know this ;)

A few years ago, prompted by their links to the paneristi.com website, Panerai produced the 195 - this is a Luminor Marina PVD produced uniquely for 200 lucky .com members - these are even more exclusive because they have the owners name engraved on the back. Who else does this? What other manufacturer would go to the effort? But just think of the marketing coup!

All this to say that it's partly because of the brands uniqueness that people go to such lengths to procure the more exotic models. Hang in there, you never know, one may turn up, and when it does, you'll be one of only 1000 people worldwide to have the pleasure of wearing it.

Jeez - I sound like a Panerai advert?!

PS. I like Rolex and Breitling too :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:41 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

You'd make a good PR officer for the brand, that's for sure :)

I'm not at all surprised or even disappointed at my very unlikely ownership of a 28, though in changing tack, i think it confirms i prefer the current Luminor case and indeed the Radiomir ;) to the 1950 case. I have one already and to re-align my small collection around the revised case style would be both costly and unnecessary. I think i will ultimately by-pass the new models but i'll reserve judgment until i've seen one.

I've decided i'm going to seek out a 219, just because i fancy one and see where i end up with that search.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:22 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

I love my 219 to bits cos it's got all the quirky bits I like - sandwich dial, display back, Destro and only 400 per year..magic.

Good luck in your search.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:43 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Are there any prices for these new "3xx" series models yet guys? Preferably in GBP if anyone knows them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:10 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Driver8 wrote:
Are there any prices for these new "3xx" series models yet guys?

Yes - try here

;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:10 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

sportback wrote:
Driver8 wrote:
Are there any prices for these new "3xx" series models yet guys?

Yes - try here

;)

Splendid! Cheers Sporty.