The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:36 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Hey All,

First time on this website and I wanted to get your opinion on the PAM 286 watch. This would be my first Panerai watch and I wanted to get some feedback to see if this watch is worth the 15KUSD as advertised.

Thanks for all your help.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think that most special edition Panerai's are worth the money if you can get them direct from the dealer, but on the secondary their prices are a bit high. I'm not sure how long the prices will hold out given the economy and the fact that every year, more Panerai's are released, causing last years models to come down a bit, even though they are all limited. I've noticed in the last few months that secondary market pricing has been dropping steadily.. sometimes by 10-20%, and other peices are simply not moving. If that is a significantly lowered price from what it was trading at a few months ago, it might be a good deal.. otherwise I don't know.. its hard to say.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:41 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

The 286 is high on my list, principally because I love the idea of there only being 500 in a model range. This is the 2007 SE Regatta model and is very similar to the 2006 SE Regatta, the 253, but in addition has the rattrapante feature (The third push button at 8 o'clock).

It's an automatic, which is always an advantage in my book (!) and has the 1950 style case.

The SE models from Panerai are REALLY unique because there are only a very small number produced. As you probably already know, every Panerai is part of a yearly production run of xxx units, and whilst you can buy a 219 (for example) with a production run of 400 units in 2007, there will be another 400 produced for 2008, and on until they stop making that model. The SE on the other hand are based on a regular production model (The 286 is based on the 213 but with the addition of the blue second hand and the first 5 minute graduations on the minute counter at 3 o'clock) and the production run is unique.