The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Best deal for a Panerai?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:27 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Where is the best discounted deal for Panerai watches? I would like an AD but it just has to be a reliable site? And what percent it the discount? I live in Minnesota and the only AD is Wixons jewelers.

Thanks,

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You won't get much of a discount on the more popular ones. Just go to your local AD.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:33 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Is there such thing as a deal because most website that I read about AD do not give discounts? Do you think I should buy the PAM 000 to save money?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:32 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Second part first - there's really no such thing as 'saving money' when you buy a watch, and I think this applies across the board, regardless of mark.

If by that you mean that by buying a base model you 'lose' less, then perhaps yes - as you go up the price range, and the popularity increases (or the rarity) then you stand less of a chance of making a saving. As an example, if you want a 292 which the dealer will sell you for around 5000€, you must expect to pay at least the double on the fora due to the extreme rarity (and don't get me started on why they're rare - see associated thread)

Again, a gerneral rule of thumb is that the dealer won't give you a discount unless you're a very good customer or you've paid in full for a watch (not yet delivered) and there's a subsequent price hike. Even if you're a good customer don't expect a HUGE discount.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:53 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

ADs do not discount much on PAMs, if at all. Example.... Last month, I bought my 233 at the AD. I have purchase 3 other expensive watches from them before and am a loyal customer there. While negotiating on the 233, I threw in a $3800 Tag Heuer Link for my wife to sweeten the deal. AD gave me a mere 5% off the PAM and 20% off the Tag. Of course, we love the watches so I do not regret buying for a second. Just trying to give you an idea on rarity of discounting on PAMs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:07 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

I wonder what the mark is then? What do these AD mark there watches up to in order to make profit?

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:08 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

I mean't mark UP.....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:09 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

ok I can't spell and I am tired....meant mark up...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:30 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

What model are you looking for? Your best bet is to try and order one from an out of state AD who does not have stores in Minessota. You will save tax that way. I work for a dealer in NC and VA.

Panerai is an exclusive brand that is very popular and sometimes rare to find. Panerai is the one who dictates the price and discounts most of the time. They are priced at retail for a reason and are not marked up to mark down. Do no expect anything over 5%, if anything at all, especially depending on model.

Shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out about getting you one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:38 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

krlyuzh, which models seem to be in higher demand? which are the difficult ones to find?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:04 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Panerai is exclusive as is. They do not make many watches, period. I mean think probably 1/3 of what Breitling produces a year and 1/12 of what Rolex makes. AD's are hard to come by as is and when you do go into 1, there are usually 10-20 in stock, if that. The hardest to find are generally the limited editions. PAM292 is impossible to find and has about 2-3 year wait. I ordered a PAM26 for a customer 3 months ago and I'm not expecting to get it for him until mid to end of '09. Generally, even any 'basic' stock that has to be ordered takes 3 months to get here. The 48, 49, 50, and 51 are the ones that seem to be easiest to get and found more at AD's in stock. They are a smaller 40mm size and I guess not as desirable. The 104 and 88 seem to be very popular and not as hard to find. The 104 is simple Luminor with auto movement and date, the 88 is that + GMT complication. The Manifattura models are also hard to get and very desirable, mainly because they use an in-house movement. Most of titanium models seem to be on more or less unpopular side, also.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:25 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

[quote="In2Deep"]krlyuzh, which models seem to be in higher demand? which are the difficult ones to find?BEIJING IS THE CHEAPEST FOR PANERAI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:11 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

HARTONOT wrote:
In2Deep wrote:
krlyuzh, which models seem to be in higher demand? which are the difficult ones to find?BEIJING IS THE CHEAPEST FOR PANERAI

Could they be cheapest in Beijing because they're fakes? given that's where the majority of counterfeits emmanate from :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:37 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Baz1950 wrote:
Could they be cheapest in Beijing because they're fakes? given that's where the majority of counterfeits emmanate from :D

There's possibly some truth in this - I've just seen some photos of a fake 253, and while to me it's fairly obviously a fake, I have to admit it's startling well done - frighteningly so. I can identify it as I have a genuine one (I think?!) but I dread to think what would happen if this were put infront of someone less experienced with this particular model.

Interestingly, the faults which identify it as a fake seem, to me, strikingly basic, while the rest is incredibly well executed.

Be careful out there...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sporty, what are inconsistencies on the fake 253? Is it the usual with the shape and placement of numerals and markers?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:05 pm 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Without going in to too many details, it's things like the typeface (Panerai, Regatta etc) the loops and thickness of the numbers on the dial itself, and the engraving on the rear of the case (typeface again, depth and positioning on the words etc.)

I supose the easiest bit (in terms of copying) is the case as it's difficult to measure accurately from a photo, but the case 'looks' legit, with the brushed surfaces and curves etc.

The minute markers and general positioning is pretty good, even the small hands 'seem' to be the correct shape (if not EXACTLY the same size...)

Quite worrying actually...